We’re addressing the elephant in the room – Twitter
30 January, 2023
It’s been three months since Elon Musk's takeover, and lots are wondering about the future of Twitter. In this blog we’re looking at some of the advantages and disadvantages of using Twitter.
The jury is clearly still out on using Twitter as the impact of Musk’s leadership on the platform is still being determined. Some experts have raised concerns about the potential for increased censorship and changes to the platform's policies. In contrast, others have suggested that Musk's influence could lead to new features and innovations. Ultimately, the level of risk associated with using Twitter as a business will depend on the specific actions taken by the company under Musk's leadership and broader trends in the social media industry.
Although Mastodon has gained millions of new users since Elon Musk bought Twitter, and could be considered an alternative to Twitter, it will not likely replace it. Instead, many think of it as an alternative for those looking for a decentralised, open-source platform focused on privacy and community-driven moderation. Mastodon has a much smaller user base than Twitter and other popular social media platforms that gained a significant head start in brand recognition, user base, and developer support, making it unlikely that Mastodon will be able to catch up soon.
There are always potential disadvantages and challenges to using Twitter – some of these include:
- Limited reach: Twitter has a relatively small user base compared to other social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
- Limited targeting options: Twitter's advertising platform has fewer targeting options than other platforms.
- Potential for negative feedback: Twitter is a public platform, and businesses may receive negative feedback or criticism from users.
- Frequent algorithm updates: Twitter updates its algorithms frequently, making it difficult for businesses to maintain consistent engagement and reach on the platform.
However, many of these disadvantages can be mitigated by having a clear social media strategy, regularly monitoring, and engaging with users, and being prepared to respond to negative feedback.
There are still also huge benefits in continuing to use Twitter for your business in 2023, and these include:
- Access to a vast network of influencers and industry leaders for partnerships and collaborations.
- Ability to gather customer feedback and insights to improve products and services.
- Ability to share quick news and updates about your business, including promotions and events.
- Increased website traffic using Twitter cards and other interactive features.
- Opportunities to generate sales through targeted promotions and special offers.
If you like to be prepared and have a contingency plan then there are alternatives to using Twitter, depending on your company's specific goals and target audience. Chances are your business already has a presence on Facebook, LinkedIn, and other popular social media platforms, and each has its own benefits and drawbacks.
So, brands and businesses can take this opportunity to:
- Re-evaluate which platform best fits their marketing goals and target audience.
- Analyse which platform(s) show the most growth potential to allocate more budget and resources to.
- Join Mastodon to monitor and experiment with the platform for a few months before making any decisions
And always remember that social media platforms, customers' online behaviour and media trends evolve constantly so the most important thing you can do is to keep calm, have a core focus on strategy and boost your team's creativity to deliver impact.